The Department of English and Modern Foreign Languages offers your choice of two minors in French. The French minor focuses on the language, literature and culture of France and will prepare you for additional studies in these areas. If you are considering a teaching career, you may want to choose a French minor leading to P-12 Certification. French minors are encouraged to immerse themselves in the French language and culture through study abroad.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
French and English are spoken on all continents. This means the possibilities are practically endless! Here are just a few ideas:
1. Teacher - certain areas of the United States continue to experience teacher shortages in foreign languages.
2. Translator - you can do this full time, or you can pick it up on the side.
3. Librarian or researcher - language skills are a huge asset to anyone looking at research-related careers.
4. Law enforcement/national security - more and more police departments, as well as the FBI and CIA, need people who can communicate in more than one language.
5. Diplomacy - just imagine, a career in Europe, Africa or South America. You don't have to be an ambassador to play an important role.