If you are considering a legal career, political science is a good choice of major because it focuses on what law does in society; how laws are made; the role of the courts; and other related topics. Although you may major in any field and still apply to law school, you can get a good feel for studying law by taking political science courses.
As a political science major at UC, you will survey the major concepts, issues and controversies in political science. You’ll explore public policy, constitutional law, political theory, comparative government, American foreign policy, the presidency and Congress.
At Cumberlands, you can pursue a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science, and a minor in political science is also available.
The experienced, caring faculty in the Department of History and Political Science will help you choose the combination of study to best meet your personal goals,and you will be well-prepared to begin your career or to continue your studies in graduate school.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
- Civilian consultant to the Department of Defense
- Assistant secretary of state for Latin American Affairs
- Deputy undersecretary of affairs for women in the labor force
- Officer, Federal Bureau of Investigations
- Secretary, Department of Health and Human Services
- Teacher overseas school for military and diplomatic children
- Program analyst, Environmental Protection Agency
- Management auditor, field office, Department of Labor
- Tax inspector, Treasury Department
- Researcher, Congressional Research Service
- Foreign service officer
- Budget analyst
- GAO evaluator
- Foreign affairs specialist
- Public affairs specialist
- Intelligence specialist, CIA
- Staff aide, congressional committee
- Information technology manager
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Program officer
- Office of Elementary and Secondary Education