The Department of World Languages offers a major and a minor in Spanish and a major and minor in Spanish leading to P-12 Certification. As you earn your bachelor’s degree in Spanish, you will develop the communicative tools to understand the Hispanic language, literature and culture at all levels. The skills and experience you will attain when you major in Spanish at Cumberlands will prepare you for graduate and professional programs and for careers in teaching, government, foreign service, business and any other field in which knowledge of another language and culture is vital. As a Spanish major or minor, you are encouraged to enhance your fluency by immersion in language and culture through study abroad.
What Can I Do With This Spanish Degree?
Spanish and English are two of the world's languages with the largest number of speakers. This means the possibilities are practically endless! Here are just a few ideas for what you can do with a Spanish degree:
1. Teacher - Certain areas of the United States continue to experience teacher shortages in foreign languages.
2. Translator - You can do this full time, or you can pick it up on the side.
3. Librarian or researcher - Language skills are a huge asset to anyone looking at research-related careers.
4. Law enforcement/national security - More and more police departments, as well as the FBI and CIA, need people who can communicate in more than one language.
5. Diplomacy - Just imagine, a career in Europe, Africa or South America. You don't have to be an ambassador to play an important role.