Cumberlands offers a major and a minor in Spanish or in Spanish, leading to P-12 Certification in teacher education if your interests lie in teaching the Spanish language. As a Spanish major, you will have the tools to understand the Hispanic language, literature, and culture at all levels. You will develop skills in four areas of communications: speaking, listening, reading and writing. You will have the opportunity to explore diverse cultures and develop a sense of cultural awareness and understanding. Spanish majors and minors also are encouraged to enhance their fluency by immersion in language and culture through study abroad.
The skills and experience you will attain as a Spanish student at Cumberlands will prepare you for graduate and professional programs and for careers in teaching, government, foreign service, business and any other field in which knowledge of another language and culture is vital.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
Spanish and English are two of the world's languages with the largest number of speakers. This means the possibilities are practically endless! Here are just a few ideas:
1. Teacher - certain areas of the United States continue to experience teacher shortages in foreign languages.
2. Translator - you can do this full time, or you can pick it up on the side.
3. Librarian or researcher - language skills are a huge asset to anyone looking at research-related careers.
4. Law enforcement/national security - more and more police departments, as well as the FBI and CIA, need people who can communicate in more than one language.
5. Diplomacy - just imagine, a career in Europe, Africa or South America. You don't have to be an ambassador to play an important role.
|Faculty who care about students as individuals|
|Faculty committed to effective teaching and student success|
|Spanish honor societies, including competition for study abroad scholarships|
|Access to language lab and other technology to work on listening and speaking skills|
|Activities such as field trips, conversation tables, movie nights and more|
|Placement tests for qualified students allow rapid progress toward major or minor|
|Commitment to teaching about all cultures where Spanish is spoken|
|Faculty who are highly qualified, fluent in one or more foreign languages and stay up-to-date in their fields|
|Summer study abroad|
|A diverse, open and supportive community of language learners. We're all in this together|