Take these steps before you arrive…
- Submit all required university forms. download here
- Submit your $1,000 non-refundable tuition deposit.
- If you have not already paid the balance due for your charges in advance, these fees must be paid in full at the time of registration. Arrange to send or take funds with you. DO NOT TRAVEL WITH LARGE AMOUNTS OF CASH. Local banks do not exchange currency from different countries. It is best to make arrangements to pay funds with Travelers Checks or by Credit Card.
**NOTE – If you intend to pay your fees by Credit Card, be sure to check with your bank about raising the daily amount that can be charged to the credit card. Many banks put daily limits on cards as a security measure for your protection. With these limits in place, it is not possible to pay a large on-time payment on your account. Please make the necessary arrangements to insure that you can make the payment on arrival. If this is not possible, it would be best to pay the amount due in advance. To make an advance payment by credit card, click here.
Expected Arrival Date
Your expected date of arrival on campus is listed as the Program Start Date on your I-20 form. It is important that you make plans to arrive by this date so you can participate in our welcome, registration and orientation programs.
If you have not yet received your I-20 form, you may want to contact Undergraduate Admissions to check on your expected arrival date by emailing: email@example.com.
As you make travel arrangements to ensure that you arrive by the expected arrival date, be sure to also check the appropriate departure date for the end of the semester or the end of the academic year. Your scheduled departure date should be the earliest opportunity after the last date of your final examinations for the semester. Final exams are given during the week following the last day of class. To view the academic calendar, click here
The University offers a free airport shuttle service to and from the McGhee-Tyson Airport (TYS) in Knoxville, TN. The schedule below indicates the dates and times the shuttle will arrive at the Knoxville airport. Students needing to use this shuttle service must complete an online shuttle reservation at least 14 days in advance of the date of the shuttle at: www.ucumberlands.edu/airportshuttle
If a student does not make a reservation, we cannot guarantee an available seat on a shuttle. All departures should be scheduled after 12:00 p.m. and arrivals should be scheduled prior to 10:00 pm. For questions, please contact the shuttle coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org**Note: If you will be participating on an athletic team, be sure to communicate with your coach before making your flight arrangements. Student athletes who will participate in fall sports are often required to arrive on campus for practice sessions a few weeks prior to the beginning of the school semester (which is prior to the Program Start Date on your I-20 form).
Other Transportation Options
There are two additional options for transportation to and from campus.
There are two additional options for transportation to and from campus. Greyhound Bus Line, Inc. has a terminal in London, Kentucky, (just 30 miles from campus), and travels throughout the US. If you are considering using this service, you should expect to pay additional charges for taxi service from most airports to the local bus station, as well as from the London, KY bus station to campus.
Venture Cab, Inc (1-888-526-1211) is a local cab service that is endorsed by the university and offers discounted fares to university students. Up to 6 students can travel to the same location and share the cost.Many students use Venture Cab to assist with transportation to and from:
· Nearby cities – for entertainment, dining and shopping opportunities
· Greyhound Bus Line Terminal - London, KY.
· Bluegrass Airport (LEX) – Lexington, KY
· McGee Tyson Airport (TYS) – Knoxville, TN
· Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky Airport (CVG) – Covington, KY
· Louisville International Airport – Standiford Field (SDF) – Louisville, KY
Important Travel Information
The U.S. Immigration Service has an information sheet that provides useful information on what an F-1 status individual can expect upon arrival at a U.S. port of entry. It is helpful to download and print this form to carry with you as you travel to the U.S. Download Information Sheet**All information is subject to change without notice.
Directions to University of the Cumberlands
UC is located in Williamsburg, Kentucky. Williamsburg is located at Exit 11 on Interstate 75. If you are traveling from the north, then you will turn left after taking the exit. If you are traveling from the south, you will turn right after taking the exit. At the first traffic light, turn left. Travel on this street to the top of the hill where you will come to a traffic light at Main Street. Turn right at this light. Travel a short distance to the main entrance to the university. Turn right. Immediately on the left is the Bock Security and Information Building. You can stop at this building for additional directions to the buildings where you want to visit. (Office of International Relations, Residence Halls, etc.)
Residence Hall Check-in
Residence Halls open for international students on the expected date of arrival. Students who arrive before the residence halls open must make their own arrangements for off-campus housing until the residence halls open (see local hotel information below). Students are responsible for the cost of housing and their meals until the Residence Halls are open.
Residence Halls and room assignments are assigned on a first come first served basis, as Housing applications are received. In order to reserve a room, we must have the following forms completed as soon as possible, but not later than 2 weeks before you leave your home country:
Depending on the length of the break, some students make the following arrangements:
- Return home (extended breaks and summer)
- Stay in a local hotel and eat at local restaurants at their own expense. (shorter breaks)
- Travel to visit with friends or family in the US. (shorter breaks and extended breaks)
Packing for your trip...
- Buy two good suitcases (as large as possible within size limitations)
- Put identification marks and labels on the bags
- Items to Have in Your Checked Baggage:
- Copies of all certificates/documents
- Medical history files
- Essentials (soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc)
- Clothing (see What to Bring)
Items to Have in Your Carry On Baggage:
Having a carry-on bag is always a good idea, in case luggage is delayed or lost
- Original important documents (I-20, visa, tickets, passport, etc)
- Medication (if applicable)
- Reading materials for flight
- Money and Travelers Checks (Arrange to send or take funds with you to pay for the tuition fees.)
- Computer (if you plan to bring one with you)
- Eye glasses and prescription
Items to Keep With You (pocket, purse, etc):
- Emergency contact list
- Traveler's Checks and cash
Items to Leave at Home:
- Address & phone number where you can be reached
- Copies of all important documents (passport, I-20, medical record)
A Week Before Your Flight...
- Check your flight schedule to see if there are any delays or changes (Notify the UC Office of Student Services if there are any changes)
- Rest well for the long journey
On the Day of Your Flight...
- Wear something comfortable (visit www.weather.com to learn about weather/temperature)
- Be at the airport 3-4 hours before departure
- Collect $20-$30 cash at the airport (part of it in $1 bills)
- Sleep as much as possible during the flight
Hotel Listing Information
If you arrive in Williamsburg before your expected arrival date, or need temporary accommodations during a break, you may wish to make a reservation at one of these local hotels:
649 S. 10th Street
510 Highway 92 W
Super 8 Hotel
30 Highway 92 W
If you are scheduled to arrive later than 10:00 p.m. at Lexington or Knoxville airports, you will need to check the airport websites for information about nearby hotel options. Once you have made these arrangements, be sure to contact the Office of Student Services about where you are staying so they will know where to pick you up.
**Note: If you will be participating on an athletic team, be sure to communicate with your coach before making your flight arrangements. Student athletes who will participate in fall sports are often required to arrive on campus practice sessions a few weeks prior to the beginning of the school semester (which is prior to the Program Start Date on your I-20 form).
All international students are required to live on campus, in campus residence halls; however, University of the Cumberlands does not have one residence hall where all international students are assigned.
International students are encouraged to seek every opportunity to meet students from the US and other countries. Once students have the opportunity to meet other students they may request changes to housing assignments, if desired.
For more information on campus housing, click here.
- Winter Coat (Heavy coat – cold weather)
- Jacket (Lighter weight - mild weather)
- Hat and Gloves
- Dress Clothing
- Jeans/Casual Pants
- Casual shorts
- Athletic Shorts
- Casual shoes
- Athletic shoes
- Dress shoes
- Writing paper
- Pens and Pencils
- Toiletries (Soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste)
- Plastic/Rubber sandals for use in the shower
- Health Care items (Vitamins, bandages, etc.)
- Clothing hangers
- 2 sets of Twin Sheets
- Wash Cloths
- Alarm clock
- Book bag
- Sports Equipment
- Hair dryer
- Plastic storage containers
- Do not pack these items. They can be purchased at a local department store.
DO NOT BRING:
- Candles (Open flame – risk of fire)
- Incense (Open flame – risk of fire)
**NOTE: Items listed on this sheet may be purchased at a local department store.