Below are a few of the frequently asked questions you may have. If you do not find the answer to your question below, please contact us for assistance.


Does UC have an Absence Policy?

Yes, it does. The Absence Policy refers to the number of times in a semester you may be absent from a particular class, generally no more than

  • Three (3) absences for a class that meets once a week,
  • Six (6) absences for a class that meets twice a week, or
  • Nine (9) absences for a class that meets 3 times a week.


Who is my Advisor?

Your advisor is the faculty member whom you must see when planning your schedule of classes each semester. Your advisor helps make sure you take all the classes you need in order to graduate. For your first year, your advisor will be your INSIGHTS professor. After that, you will be assigned an advisor from the department of your major area of study.


Where do I get help with my classes?

The Academic Resource Center, located on the bottom floor of the Library and directed by Mrs. Carolyn Reaves, offers free tutoring in all undergraduate subjects from trained student tutors. Other resources like worksheets and old tests are also available. Requests for tutoring may be made by calling 539- 4312 or by registering online.


Can I drop or add a class?

A few days either after registration or at the beginning of each semester you can decide not to take a class (drop) and/or switch to another class (add). Make sure you know the important deadlines each semester for when drop/add is free, for when you can no longer add, or when a WP (withdraw passing) or WF (withdraw failing) will appear on your transcript as opposed to just a W.


Where can I get a copy of my transcript?

A running transcript is available off of your MyUC account. You may request an official transcript from the Registrar. The fee for each official transcript is $10. Unofficial copies may be obtained for a fee of $3 each.


Where do I get my books?

You can purchase your books in our campus bookstore located on the middle level of the Boswell Campus Center or online.


Where do I pay my bill?

The Bursar Office keeps an account of your bill for tuition, room, and board. Payments on your account may be made online or directly to the Bursar’s office, located on the main floor of the Gatliff Building. Staff in the Bursar’s office also issue parking permits and cash personal checks.


Where can I get answers to my questions about residence life?

Please visit our residence life website for more information about your individual residence hall, the residence life staff, programming opportunities, and more! Click here for more information.


Where do I get a parking pass?

The Bursar Office in the Gatliff Building issues parking permits and cash personal checks.


Where can I go when I am sick?

The Campus Clinic is open when classes are in session and services are available to faculty, staff and students. There is no charge for students that are covered under the student insurance plan. Students with private coverage will be charged a $20 co-payment that is applied to their student tuition account. Clinic hours are 9am-11am & 1pm-4pm Monday thru Friday

  • If you are going to miss class because you are ill, Absence Memos can be sent to your faculty through Student Services.


How do I get involved on campus?

Students can get involved in a variety of ways.

  • BCM (Baptist Campus Ministries) – This organization hosts weekly worship and small group Bible studies, campus outreach events, campus revival services each semester, special mission projects, and weekly community outreach programs in local communities through our Appalachian Ministries program. The Campus Ministries Office is located in the Angel-Dale House on Main Street.
  • CAB (Campus Activities Board) – This organization plans social events throughout the year including movies and special events, particularly during Welcome Week and Spring Fever Week. CAB offices are located in the Boswell Campus Center.
  • Clubs and Organizations – Cumberland has many clubs and organizations for students to enjoy. From academic major related organizations to the outdoor adventure club, there is a group for everyone! Click here to learn more about our student organization options.
  • MO (Mountain Outreach) – This is the name of UC’s nationally recognized home-building program. Many students work with MO through the year and even on into the summer.
  • House Council – This group helps to plan educational and social events throughout the year hosted in the campus residence halls.
  • SGA (Student Government Association) – This prominent group on campus represents students’ interests, sponsors many activities, and provides a number of services. SGA offices are in the Boswell Campus Center (BCC).