University of the Cumberlands is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, education specialist, and doctorate degrees. Questions about the accreditation of University of the Cumberlands may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
University of the Cumberlands is a private, faith based institution that is governed by a Board of Trustees. The Board is formed by highly esteemed individuals from around the state of Kentucky and the United States. University of the Cumberlands complies with all applicable federal and state non-discrimination statutes and does not engage in prohibited discrimination on the basis of race, color, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, age, handicap or genetic information. The University may discriminate on the basis of religion in any position of employment in order to fulfill its purpose.
Additional accreditation information:
1. University of the Cumberlands’ Education programs are further state accredited through Kentucky's Educational Professional Standards Board (EPSB), 100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601, Phone: 502.564.4606, Fax: 502.564.7080.
2. The Associate Degree nursing program at the Forcht School of Nursing at the University of the Cumberlands located in Williamsburg, KY is accredited by the:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326
3. The RN-BSN degree program at University of the Cumberlands is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education , 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
4. The MSN-FNP degree program at University of the Cumberlands is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education , 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
5. The Hutton School of Business at the University of the Cumberlands has received specialized accreditations for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page.
6. University of the Cumberlands is seeking accreditation of a new Doctor of Physical Therapy program from the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). The program is planning to submit an Application for Candidacy, which is the formal application required in the pre-accreditation stage, in June 2022.
Submission of this document does not assure that the program will be granted Candidate for Accreditation status. Achievement of Candidate for Accreditation status is required prior to implementation of the professional phase of the program; therefore, no students may be enrolled in the professional courses until Candidate for Accreditation status has been achieved. Further, though achievement of Candidate for Accreditation status signifies satisfactory progress toward accreditation, it does not assure that the program will be granted accreditation.
Graduation from a physical therapist education program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100, Alexandria, VA 22305-3085; phone 703.706.3245; firstname.lastname@example.org, is necessary for eligibility to sit for the licensure examination, which is required in all states.
CAPTE Timing and the Licensing Exam
The DPT program will be evaluated for full-accreditation status in the second year of the first cohort (2024). Accreditation is anticipated to be received prior to graduation of the first cohort which will be December 2024. Based on Rule 7.2 (see below), graduates of the first cohort will be able to take the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) as early as January 2025.
New Rule: 7.2 Definition of Candidate for Accreditation
Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status, awarded prior to enrollment of students in the technical (PTA programs) or professional (PT programs) phase of the program, which indicates that the physical therapy education program is progressing toward accreditation. All credits and degrees earned and issued by a program holding candidacy are considered to be from an accredited program.
Complaints to the Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education
The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education is a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. CAPTE grants specialized accreditation status to qualified entry-level education programs for physical therapists and physical therapist assistants. The only mechanism through which CAPTE can act on an individual’s concerns is through a formal complaint process. For more information please visit the CAPTE website.
The process for filing a complaint with CAPTE is available here.
7. University of the Cumberlands has been named a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD) by the National Security (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). There are just over 200 universities nationwide with CAE-CD designation, and only two other universities in Kentucky included in this elite group.
8. The CACREP Council accredits the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program, Addiction Counseling program, PhD in Counselor Education & Supervision, and the related Doctorate of Educational Leadership Online (EdD) Program. CACREP is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) that accredits counselor-preparation graduate degree programs. For more information, visit https://www.cacrep.org.
CACREP Outcomes for the Department of Counseling at University of Cumberlands:
Program Evaluation Outcomes Report: 2015-2018
University of the Cumberlands
6178 College Station Drive
Williamsburg, Kentucky 40769