Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for my ucumberlands email account?

To sign up for your email account, visit:

How do I get information about financial aid/loans?

You can contact our Financial Planning Office at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4220, or via e-mail at All applicants must complete the FAFSA. Financial Aid forms can be located at the following link: Financial Aid Forms

How do I get my books?

Books can be purchased online from our Campus Bookstore at the following link: UC Bookstore

How do I register for classes?

You will register for your first classes with our Graduate Education Advising Center. You can contact the Advising Center at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4539, or via e-mail at You will register yourself for all future terms using MyUC.

How long does it take to complete a Master's program?

The answer is it varies. Our programs are designed to accommodate working adults, and a lot depends on how quickly you choose to pursue the program. The average completion time for our MAEd program is 18 months.

Where do I find information about the Praxis exams?

Information about the Praxis exams can be found at the following link:

Who do I contact if I would like to change my program?

If you are currently taking classes and would like to change your program, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions to find out what steps should be taken. You can reach our Graduate Admissions Office at 1-800-343-1609 ext.4390

Can I pursue only one certification area at the Middle School level, or am I required to pursue two?

We recommend that all MAT Middle School candidates choose two certification areas. Kentucky, however, only requires one area of emphasis. Keep in mind that Kentucky is the exception, and most other states require two areas. 

Where do I go to take my classes?

You will log in to your classes using iLearn. 

You will be required to complete a short tutorial before you will be given access.    

Three criteria must be met before logging in for the first time:

1. You must have a UC email account.
2. You must have validated your account in MyUC (See My UC Tutorial).
3. You must be registered for at least one class. 

After completing the above criteria, you must watch the following Introduction Video to get acquainted with the iLearn environment. After watching the video, you can begin the tutorial by following the video instructions to log into iLearn. You will log in using your standard University username and password, which are the same credentials you use to access your email account. If you have not registered for an e-mail account, please do so immediately by clicking here. If you have forgotten your username and/or password, it can be recovered at Password Recovery. If you have any questions or problems pertaining to the orientation tutorial, please contact the Department of Information Technology at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4197, locally at 539-4197, or via email at

Will courses from another university transfer to the University of the Cumberlands?

Yes, provided such credit meets the appropriate degree requirements for your University of the Cumberlands program. We allow the transfer of 9 hours. More information about Transfer Credits can be found at the following link:

Transfer Students

If I am from out of state, can I still get a teaching license through this program?

Yes, we provide certification for the state of Kentucky through Kentucky’s Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB), and that certificate can in turn be transferred to another state through interstate reciprocity. It’s important for all out-of-state candidates to check with their respective state certification office to determine reciprocity eligibility. If a teacher candidate is pursuing the MAT Program outside of Kentucky, he/she will only be able to acquire a Kentucky Statement of Eligibility (SOE) through student-teaching. Once the candidate arrives as the student-teaching semester, seventy (70) days of clinical practice must be conducted in an accredited United States school. Out-of-State candidates are not eligible for licensure without student-teaching.

Am I required to student teach?

MAT students must student teach unless teaching under the Alternative Certification (Option 6) program. Students teaching under the Alt. Cert program will take our online Practicum class instead.  

How long does each class last?

All courses in the program with the exception of Research Methods, Student Teaching, and Practicum courses are offered in 8 week bi-terms. Research Methods, Student Teaching, and Practicum courses are full semester courses and last 16 (sixteen) weeks. Classes consist of chat sessions between the professor and students in the class, and students are required to be logged in and at their computer during class time. Each class meets one night per week from 8:00-9:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. 

Am I required to complete field experience hours?

Some courses do require field experience hours, and the courses that do are listed in our Graduate Handbook.

How do I found out who my Academic Advisor and Student Success Coordinator is?

You will be assigned a Student Success Coordinator by the Department of Graduate Student Success and an Academic Advisor once you are admitted to the program.