Online Master's in Data Science
Ready to take your data science career to new heights? Consider earning an online master’s in data science to further your exploration of the rapidly expanding data science field. New information is constantly being created and collected, and data science professionals must be prepared to evolve with the industry, build the skills to lead organizations into the future, and address new challenges in areas like statistical analysis and data integration.
- What is Data Science?
- What Careers Can You Do with a Degree in Data Science?
- Is a Master's in Data Science Worth IT?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Transfer Credit Policy
- Credit for Prior Learning
WHAT IS A MASTER’S IN DATA SCIENCE?
A master’s in data science is a graduate degree that builds on what you learned in your bachelor’s degree program and data science career. The program often attracts data science professionals with several years of experience. It offers data scientists the chance to explore a new direction in the field, build career-specific skills, or prepare for potential leadership opportunities.
As the data science field expands, businesses may seek experts with the advanced capability to extract knowledge from large data sets in order to gain insights in a wide array of disciplines. In addition, there’s increased demand for professionals with skills in information visualization, data integration, graphic design, and communication. Earning your master’s in data science could be one way to stand out from the competition and gain an edge in your career.
WHAT CAREERS CAN YOU DO WITH A MASTER’S IN DATA SCIENCE?
For career paths such as economist, a master’s in data science may be an entry-level requirement, or earning a master’s degree could be a way to boost your credentials and build new skills. So, what kinds of careers could you pursue with a master’s in data science?
- Cartographer or Photogrammetrist
- Computer and Information Research Scientist
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Mathematician or Statistician
- Medical Records and Health Information Specialist
- Operations Research Analyst
- Survey Researcher
- And more!
Some data science pros earn a master’s to explore a new area of the field or even pursue a career change. Earning a master’s may be the perfect way to bridge gaps in your skillset and take your career in a new direction.
IS A MASTER’S IN DATA SCIENCE WORTH IT?
Pursuing an advanced degree is an investment in your future, and earning a master’s degree in data science from University of the Cumberlands may be worthwhile for several reasons:
- You could prepare for leadership opportunities. Many organizations prefer to hire data science professionals who hold a graduate degree. These career paths may become increasingly complex as businesses rely on data gathering and interpretation to help make major decisions. Earning a master’s could help you prepare for these and other challenges and opportunities in a leadership role.
- You could boost your earnings and job security. Master’s degree-holders earned a median annual salary of nearly $12,475 more than bachelor’s degree-holders in 2021. In addition, those with a master’s degree had an unemployment rate of just 2 percent, compared to 5 percent for the working population as a whole.
- Earning a master’s doesn’t have to put your career on pause. The online master’s in data science at University of the Cumberlands is designed for working adults. You can study in a flexible format, enhance your skillset, and prepare for new professional challenges—all while keeping your current job.
- In a class all of our own. University of the Cumberlands has been named a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). There are just over 200 universities nationwide with CAE-CD designation, and only two other universities in Kentucky included in this elite group.
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
If you’re searching for a master’s degree program that can help you take your data science career to the next level, you’ve found it. The Master of Science in Data Science from University of the Cumberlands offers the statistical, computer science, and data integration insights you need to prepare for exciting employment opportunities in virtually every sector of the economy.
Intended for those who have earned a baccalaureate degree and are working in the data science field, this online master’s degree in data science will help you boost your credentials and accomplish your professional goals.
UC’s Master of Science in Data Science online degree program will prepare you to:
- Format data for analysis
- Determine the algorithm used for the analysis
- Process the data
- Create a plan of action based on the analysis
- Present the results in an easy-to-understand format
As the data science landscape continues to grow in new directions, a master’s program could help you grow along with it. If you’re ready to achieve more in the data science field, we’re here to help you plan your next steps.
Curriculum for the online master’s in data science will engage you in theories, strategies, and tactics for critical fields, including statistics, mathematics, business, information science and visualization, data integration, graphic design, and communication.
The 31-credit program requires 27 credit hours in core subjects such as Statistics for Data Science, Deep Learning, and Natural Language Processing and four credit hours for both theory and practicum Capstone courses. You will select a topic of interest for your project, collect data and prepare data sets, and use data processing models to report business results and insights. Alternatively, you could pursue an applied learning practicum or internship.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Admission to our University is very competitive as well as selective and we review each application by the same standards.
- Application and Application fee
- A completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Submit official transcripts from all applicable colleges/universities attended; must be received directly from the issuing college or university.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Any international course work completed must have official transcript evaluations completed and submitted to the University by the evaluation firm. Evaluations MUST include GPA for admission.
Approved Evaluation Firms are:
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 100
All admissions materials should be submitted to:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Transfer Credit Policy
A maximum of nine semester hours of credit may be transferred from an accredited graduate institution. Transfer credits must be in courses equivalent to courses in the program. All transfer credits must be approved by the Program Director and the Registrar and have been earned within the last five years. Grades for any transfer credits accepted into the program do not count in the program GPA.
TRANSFER OF CREDIT BASED ON EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCES IN THE ARMED FORCES
The School of Computer Information and Technology will accept transfer credit based up on the American Council on Education’s Military Guide credit recommendations for formal courses and occupations offered by all branches of the military. Credits must be approved by the University Registrar and the Program Director. Here is the official University policy regarding transfer credit related to military service.
Credit for Prior Learning
University of the Cumberlands recognizes that students entering or returning to college bring with them a wide variety of prior learning experiences Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) allows qualified students to earn credit for college-level learning outside of the classroom. Click here to view acceptable certifications as replacements for corresponding courses.
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
Click here to view a list of the information technology faculty.
Visit Us In Person
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769