Schools in Kentucky and across the nation are doing more each day to ensure the safety of our children and students. You can become a leader in the field of safety with the school safety endorsement program from University of the Cumberlands. The program will enable you to become a leader in your school system and a leader in the eyes of the students you protect every day.
At University of the Cumberlands, our graduate-level school safety program is designed to give both educators and school support staff the training and knowledge they need to implement and manage safety programs while mitigating potential threats in and beyond the classroom.
- What is School Safety in Today's Schools?
- What is a School Safety Endorsement?
- Is a School Safety Endorsement Worth It?
- Admission Requirements
- Affordable & Achievable
- Accreditation EPSB and CAEP
Unfortunately, we see too many reminders that make us aware of the safety challenges present in the modern-day classroom. School safety is a daily issue that takes the focus of a number of people in the school working together to manage the classroom to prevent incidents and to plan long-term to avert crisis situations. Today's school leaders rely on team members that can dedicate their position to focusing on the safety issues present in the school.
School safety leaders and coordinators may deal with bullying, drug abuse, internet safety, parental aggression, school violence or basic problems that arise daily impacting our student's ability to learn in the classroom. At University of the Cumberlands, our school safety program will give you the training and knowledge you need to be a leader among your peers and in the educational safety community.
The Kentucky Legislature passed Senate Bill 1 in 2019 which requires each school district in Kentucky to have a School Safety Coordinator on staff. Currently, Cumberlands is the only university offering the School Safety Endorsement which is recommended by the Kentucky Center for School Safety for these coordinators.
University of the Cumberlands program will align with the Kentucky Safety Educator Standards to:
- Promote and maintain a positive, safe, healthy school culture, climate and environment including positive interpersonal relationships, positive intervention strategies, conflict resolution, peer mediation and effective behavior management.
- Foster positive individual development including social, emotional,and cognitive development.
- Utilize safe school assessment data to facilitate change to support school safety for student learning.
- Coordinate crisis and emergency procedures and communication including positive intervention strategies.
- Establish a shared knowledge of policies and legal issues related to school safety including diversity, bullying, harassment and discrimination.
University of the Cumberlands online school safety program can help equip you to pursue positions within school systems and on other educational campuses where student and staff safety is a top priority.
At University of the Cumberlands, we provide career-building online programs for education personnel to effectively plan, implement and manage a school safety assessment and mitigation efforts. Schools recognize the need to have plans that outline how we can keep our schools safe. You can be the leader in your school and a hero to the students you serve.
The School Safety Endorsement is a twelve (12) credit hour graduate-level online certificate program designed to allow educational professionals to add school safety expertise to their career focus. The program provides staff the understanding they need to fulfill key roles in making schools safe and positive places for students to learn. Course curriculum focuses on school safety and security, safety-related training needs, evaluation of threats and training protocols needed for others on staff.
Required Courses (3 hours each):
- SSE 535 Introduction to School Safety
- SSE 544 School Emergency and Crisis Preparedness
- SSE 553 School Security, Crime, and Violence Prevention
- SSE 562 Physical Plant Security
A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required to be admitted to the School Safety Certificate program. Submit official transcripts from all applicable colleges/universities attended; must be received directly from the issuing college or university. Prospective students will also need to provide three letters of recommendation and must possess a valid teaching license.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. These courses in this program are only $315 per credit hour. You can learn more here.
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.