The purpose of University of the Cumberlands Art Department is to provide broad course offerings to serve students who wish to pursue a Fine Arts career and those who want to obtain teaching certificates. We aim to assist students in the development of one’s unique creative abilities through rigorous academic investigation in both studio art and art history classes.
1. To facilitate development of the individual creative ability inherent in each student.
2. To encourage academic investigation of man through our cultural heritage in the visual arts.
3. To develop psychomotor skills in a variety of media to create works of visual art.
4. To help students make intelligent and qualitative judgments about works of visual art.
5. To enrich the aesthetic environment of the college and community through art exhibitions, lectures, and studio activities.
6. To provide courses required for certification by the Kentucky Department of Education in the field of art for major and non-major students who plan to teach.