Through the English major and minor, the Department of English is committed to enhancing the reading and writing skills of students. In this endeavor, the Department offers courses that familiarize students with a broad range of Western authors, works, and literary concepts. These courses also provide diverse opportunities for students to develop their critical thinking and writing. As students explore the connections of literature with history, philosophy, fine arts, religion and other academic disciplines, the Department seeks to nurture their appreciation of literature and language, to broaden their cultural consciousness, to deepen their personal self-awareness, and to clarify their professional aspirations. Through all of these endeavors, the Department of English is committed to preparing students for graduate and professional programs, and for careers in such fields as teaching, writing, publishing, business, and law.
- To acquaint students with a broad range of Western writers, works, and concepts of literary history.
- To strengthen the critical thinking ability of students by nurturing their skills as readers.
- To strengthen the critical thinking ability of students by nurturing their skills as writers.
- To enhance the cultural awareness of students and to deepen their appreciation of literature by exploring its connections with history, philosophy, the fine arts, religion, and other areas of social experience and discourse.
- To develop the abilities of students to do scholarly research and writing.
- To prepare students for careers in such fields as teaching, writing, publishing, business, and law.