Special Education Certification
If your passion is to help at-risk children learn, thrive, grow and succeed in a life of learning, special education (learning/behavior disorder) certification is for you! The certification can be acquired through an emphasis area in our Elementary Education (P-5) program or as an area of specialization in our Middle School Education (5-9) program.
A certification in special education will give you an excellent foundation for understanding the development, characteristics, and educational services of learners with exceptionalities. As a student, you’ll receive quality instruction from professors who have practical teaching experience. You’ll also have access to our instructional media library with its wide range of teaching materials and media resources to help you prepare for classroom success.
While earning your special education certification, you will also have an opportunity for field study during a seventy (70) day student-teaching placement within the region.
What Can I Do With A Special Education Certification?
When you enroll in a program that leads to special education certification, you will receive the training and skills you need to:
- Teach in P-12 settings, working with exceptional children
- Plan and implement transitions from school to adult life for exceptional children
- Identify typical and atypical development, characteristics, and educational services of young learners
- Develop techniques regarding the design and adaptation of formal and informal assessments for exceptional children
- Address curriculum and instructional planning and strategies in all content areas to service learners with mild disabilities
Accelerate your success with a Special Education degree. Fill out the form on this page to see how UC can help get you there! Let’s talk about our test-optional college admissions process, scholarship opportunities and more!