Skip to main content

CPT & OPT (Employment)


F-1 students have limited employment opportunities available to them.  Any and all employment opportunities must be reviewed and approved by the assigned support services office (Undergraduate: Office of Student Services) (Graduate: Department of International Student Services).            


UC offers limited employment opportunities for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year for undergraduate students only. Employment on-campus may be full-time in the summer (if summer is not your first or last semester of enrollment) and vacation periods. 


F-1 students cannot work off campus without permission from the Office of Student Services (undergraduate) or the Department of International Student Services (graduate).  Either office can help students navigate the CPT and OPT employment request processes. 

The types of off-campus work for F-1 students include:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)