Ready to take your business career to the highest level? Earning a Doctor of Business Administration online can help you earn the respected credential you need to lead, innovate, and push the boundaries of your field. In a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program, you’ll develop advanced levels of competency in both business theory and practice, preparing you to make an impact in your organization—and the world. And with the convenience of online learning, it’s possible to invest in yourself and your career even while working full time.
- What is a Doctor of Business Administration Online?
- Is an Online Doctorate Worth Anything?
- What Can I Do with a Doctorate in Business Administration?
- Is a Ph.D. in Business Administration Worth It?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
A DBA program is an applied doctorate designed for business professionals. As the most advanced management degree you can attain, this program will help you prepare for high-ranking roles in business leadership and organizational management. The curriculum includes conducting applied research, understanding business theory and literature, and applying what you’ve learned in the classroom to real-life professional challenges. For some students, a DBA is the logical next step after earning an MBA and acquiring several years of business experience—typically in a management position.
Many candidates wonder if a DBA is the same as a Ph.D. While both are doctoral degrees, a Ph.D. focuses more on original research, while a DBA focuses on applied research. In other words, if you are interested in using research combined with your professional experience to solve real-world business problems, earning a DBA may be for you. If you are interested in developing new theories or approaches to further the body of knowledge in your discipline, consider the Ph.D. However, both programs may share similarities—including advanced coursework in areas ranging from economics and finance to managerial ethics and corporate social responsibility.
Many prospective students wonder if employers find online doctorate programs to be as credible as campus programs. The good news is that as the divide between online and on-campus learning continues to blur, earning a Doctor of Business Administration online is becoming a common and respected way to gain expertise. After all, many DBA candidates are working professionals who need the flexibility online learning offers. At University of the Cumberlands, you will benefit from the same relevant curriculum and dedicated faculty as on-campus students experience. Employers will recognize and value your achievement—whether you earned your degree online or on campus.
With a DBA, you can pursue a variety of business career paths that call for high-level management expertise. For instance, many graduates go on to pursue careers as top executives, including chief executive officers (CEOs), chief operating officers (COOs), chief financial officers (CFOs), and other C-suite roles. These professionals lead within organizations across diverse industries and typically need a combination of education and professional experience.
In addition, earning a DBA could help you prepare for management analyst or consultant roles. Management analysts take an in-depth look at how organizations run and suggest ways to make them more profitable and efficient. This calls for high-level expertise and related work experience. As markets become more competitive and organizations seek ways to boost their performance, analysts should be in demand. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that management analyst roles will grow 11 percent over the next decade—much faster than average for all occupations.
Earning a Ph.D. or DBA is a serious investment in your career—one that’s worthwhile for many business professionals. Potential advantages of earning your doctoral degree in business administration include:
- Job opportunities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, management occupations are on the rise. Over the next decade, this field will grow at a faster-than-average rate and add over half a million new jobs. Earning your DBA is one way to boost your professional credentials, prepare for advanced leadership opportunities, and stand out in the job market.
- A return on investment. Management jobs pay the highest median annual salary of all occupational groups: $109,760, as of May 2020 . Earning a doctorate could help you advance within your organization and put you in the running for top-salaried roles.
- Industry leading expertise. Through research and advanced courses, you’ll prepare to solve challenges for modern businesses and make vital contributions to your field. Whether you plan to pursue a leadership role in your current organization, consult growing business, or launch your own venture, you’ll find countless applications for your expertise.
The Doctor of Business Administration at University of the Cumberlands will help you develop the in-demand skills you need to stand out to employers and tackle any professional challenge. This online program is intended for candidates who are already working in a business profession and cannot attend classes on campus, due to their busy schedules. You’ll have the flexibility you need to advance your education while continuing to work full time.
Our 66-credit curriculum is comprised of core business courses, professional research courses, and 24 credits within a content specialty area:
- Healthcare Administration
- Project Management
- Strategic Management
With our planned course structure and rotation, a full-time student earning 24 credits per academic year may complete the Doctor of Business Administration program within three years. A part-time student completing 12 credits per academic year may complete the program in five years.
The Doctor of Business Administration is comprised of 66 required credit hours. Core and specialization courses are delivered in an 8-week bi-term format; dissertation courses are delivered in a 16-week semester format. Each course is three semester credit-hours and aligned with the program’s goals. An outline of the Program of Studies for the DBA is provided below:
Core Courses - 18 Hours
- BACC 731 Advanced Managerial Accounting
- BADM 733 Strategic Marketing: Research and Practice
- BADM 734 Corporate Finance: Fiscal Management in a Global Climate
- BADM 735 Comparative Economics
- BADM 737 Managerial Ethics and Social Responsibility
- BADM 838 Strategic Thinking, Decision-Making, and Innovation
Professional Research - 24 Hours
- DSRT 734 Inferential Statistics
- DSRT 834 Advanced Statistical Applications
- DSRT 837 Professional Writing and Proposal Development
- DSRT 850 Qualitative Research
- DSRT 736 Dissertation Seminar
- DSRT 839 Advanced Research Methods
- DSRT 930 Dissertation
- DSRT 931 Dissertation
Strategic Focus Courses - 24 Hours
- A content specialty area of at least twenty-four (24) hours must be earned in one of these disciplines:
- Healthcare Administration
- Project Management
- Strategic Management
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
A master's degree in a business-related field is preferred; however, applicants holding an undergraduate degree in a business area and a master's degree in a non-related area will be accepted. Applicants must have graduated from a regionally-accredited or a nationally accredited institution of higher education or an appropriately certified foreign institution approved and documented by director of DBA program. Students may be accepted into the Online Doctor of Business Administration Degree program before completing a master's degree but must have completed the degree before beginning doctorate in business administration degree program coursework.
All applications for admission to the online doctoral degree in business administration must be submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office.
Transfer and Course Credit Policy
A maximum of eighteen semester hours of credit may be transferred from an accredited graduate institution with the approval of the Program Director and the Registrar.
- Transfer credits must be in courses equivalent to courses in the program
- All coursework offered for transfer credit must have been earned within the last five years prior to admission to the program
- Grades for transfer credits accepted into the program do not count in the program GPA
Admission to our University is very competitive as well as selective and we review each application by the same standards.
- Application and Application Fee
- Official Transcripts must be received for all undergraduate and graduate coursework from an accredited college or university directly from the issuing college or university.
- Doctoral degree admission requires a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0* on a 4.0 scale from the conferred master’s degree as well as in any subsequent graduate study. Admission to a Doctoral degree requires a master’s degree or higher from a US Department of Education recognized accredited institution, in a field related to the doctoral degree of application.
- Any international course work complete must have official transcript evaluations completed and submitted to the University by the evaluation firm. Evaluations MUST include GPA for admission. Approved Evaluation Firms are:
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
All admissions materials should be submitted to Graduate Admissions:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Toll Free 800.343.1609
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
In addition to the overall institutional accreditation statement above, the Hutton School of Business at University of the Cumberlands has received specialized accreditations for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page. Please review our Public Disclosure of Student Achievement.
Click here to view a list of faculty.