Applicants wishing to utilize Option 6 Temporary Provisional Licensure must be fully admitted to Teacher Education and have a letter of eligibility in hand prior to applying and accepting a teaching position.
Already licensed teachers are not eligible for the MAT program. If you wish to add additional certifications to your license, you should consider our Proficiency Option.
The following items are necessary for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program:
- Completed Graduate Application and payment of the $30 associated fee
- Official Transcripts - GPA Review or Background Hour Review may be necessary (please see below for details)
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from a recent or current employer or professor
- No recommendations from relatives please
- Recommendation letters are an electronic form housed within the Graduate Application
- Passing Entrance Exam Scores: GRE or Praxis CASE (please see below for details)
- Criminal Background Check (please see below for details)
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT): 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT): 79
- IELTS: 6
A completed Bachelor's degree is required to apply to the MAT program. Official transcripts must be received from all previously attended colleges/universities. Transcripts sent in from students cannot be accepted even if they are in a sealed envelope. Official transcripts can be accepted two ways:
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769
(ie: National Clearinghouse, eScript, Parchment)
Official transcripts must show a cumulative degree GPA of a 2.75 or above (on a 4.0 scale) OR a GPA of a 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) in the last thirty (30) hours of credit completed (including undergraduate and graduate coursework). If your GPA does not meet this requirement, the Graduate Admissions Committee will need to review your transcripts to determine your best option.
If you are applying to a MAT program other than Elementary or Special Education, your transcripts will need to be reviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee to ensure that you meet the required background hours for your program.
Background Hour Requirements:
The MAT – Elementary (P-5) program and the MAT – Special Education: Learning and Behavior Disorders (LBD) P-12 program do not require background hours.
Middle School candidates have the option of pursuing certification in one or two emphasis areas:
- For candidates pursuing 2 emphasis areas, Middle School certification requires a minimum of 24-27 background hours (English-24, math- 25, science- 26, social studies-27). Transcripts will be evaluated to determine eligibility.
- For candidates pursuing one emphasis area, Middle School certification requires a minimum of 30 background hours or a major in your desired emphasis area. Transcripts will be evaluated to determine eligibility.
Secondary, All Grades, and Business & Marketing certifications require a minimum of 30 background hours or a major in your desired emphasis area. Transcripts will be evaluated to determine eligibility.
You can email a copy of your unofficial transcripts for a preliminary background hour review to email@example.com and list which subject(s) you are interested in pursuing.
Entrance Exam Requirements:
The entrance exam is required for the MAT program. Applicants have the option of taking the GRE or the Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators). The entrance exam CANNOT be waived. All MAT applicants must take and pass this exam.
Please register for the next available test date. Written verification of test registration can be provided for conditional admittance. You can email your test confirmation email to your Enrollment Counselor.
If you are taking the CASE Exam or have previously taken the CASE outside of Kentucky, you must officially request for your scores to be forwarded to both the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (KY EPSB; Code = 7283) and University of the Cumberlands (Code = 1145) before you can be admitted to teacher education or Option 6.
Required Passing Scores:
GRE completed after 08-01-2011:
Verbal – 150
Quantitative – 143
Analytical Writing – 4.0
Reading – 156
Math – 150
Writing – 162
Criminal Background Check
This background check ensures that candidates have the appropriate clearance for working with P-12 students, faculty, and staff during various field/clinical experiences. Please complete the National Background check at https://www.criminalwatchdog.com/. The cost of the National Background check is $18.95 and the results are instantaneous. Background checks must be submitted in PDF form.
For additional admissions information, please contact:
University of the Cumberlands
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769