Ready to earn a credential that will set you apart in the business world? Consider an online MBA. Many of today’s employers favor candidates with MBAs and the skills that come with this advanced degree. Whether you’re interested in taking your current career to a management level, switching industries, or preparing to launch a new venture of your own, earning an MBA can prepare you for new and exciting business opportunities that call for advanced expertise.
- What is an Online MBA?
- What Can I Do with an Online MBA?
- Is an Online MBA Taken Seriously?
- Is an Online MBA Worth It?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
An online MBA is a Master of Business Administration program offered in a convenient online format. Many students pursuing a graduate business degree already work full time and need the flexibility online learning offers. Otherwise, an online MBA is much the same as a traditional master’s degree in business administration. The program teaches the skills needed for advanced management and leadership roles in business, including:
- Managerial decision making
- Team building
- Project management
- Business analytics
- Corporate governance
- Business technology management
- Change management
- And more
Typically, MBA programs feature core business coursework in disciplines such as economics, finance, marketing, managerial accounting, and human resources. You’ll build on your undergraduate learning and professional experience while preparing to tackle advanced business challenges. In most cases, students also select a concentration in a disciplinary area relevant to their goals—such as entrepreneurship or project management—or an industry, such as healthcare administration.
With an online MBA, you’ll be equipped to pursue career advancement to management and leadership roles. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, management occupations are projected to add over half a million new jobs over the next decade. For top executive positions and other opportunities, today’s employers often look for candidates with an MBA. That’s because leaders need advanced and specialized expertise to make strategic decisions in today’s increasingly complex business world. Especially in large or global organizations, an MBA could offer a professional edge.
In addition, earning an MBA may be necessary for a management analyst career. Businesses consult analysts when they need to solve challenges or boost efficiency and profits. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this occupation should grow 11 percent over the next decade—much faster than average. And finally, earning an online MBA could help you build the skills you need to launch your own business. If you have an idea for a new venture but need to equip yourself with the necessary expertise and connections to make your vision a reality, business school could be the ideal next step.
Many students wonder if online MBA programs are as credible as traditional programs. The short answer is that it depends. An online MBA from a respected, accredited business school will be taken seriously in the business world and can help you achieve your professional goals. On the other hand, an online degree from an unknown or less-reputable school may not offer the same value. Some students have bad experiences with programs like this.
University of the Cumberlands is one of the top MBA schools in the nation—a respected institution that’s been teaching tomorrow’s business leaders for more than 130 years. Our convenient online MBA degree program allows you to stay in your current role while you complete your studies. You can be confident in the rigor and value of your education, and employers will respect your degree and the skills that come with it.
Online MBA programs are growing more common today, giving working professionals a flexible way to advance their skills. But as more candidates pursue this degree, some students wonder if earning an MBA is still a good investment. For many, the expertise and credentials gained from this degree are well worth it. Consider the following advantages of earning an online MBA:
- Career advancement. Many employers prefer candidates with a master’s degree, such as an MBA. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this is especially true for management careers such as financial manager, human resources manager, and training and development manager, along with top executive positions such as chief executive officer (CEO) and other C-suite roles.
- Higher earnings. Earning an MBA could help you qualify—and make you more competitive—for roles that offer a higher salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for management occupations was $109,760, as of 2020. This was the highest wage of all the major occupational groups.
- Prepare for bigger opportunities—on your schedule. Earning your MBA online is the ideal way to prepare for new opportunities without disrupting your career. You can learn on a schedule that fits your busy life, while applying what you learn within your current organization.
As a leader in graduate business education, UC’s Robert W. Plaster Graduate School of Business offers an online MBA designed to prepare you for long-term success. Courses in our MBA program cover a variety of career-applicable topics, including current issues in business, leadership, and management techniques, managerial accounting, and strategic decision making. In addition, choose from the following in-demand concentrations:
- Project Management
- Strategic Management
- Healthcare Administration
Upon completion of your MBA program online, you will be prepared to apply what you've learned to your current organization or a new business administration position.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Admission to our University is very competitive as well as selective and we review each application by the same standards.
- Application and Application fee
- A completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Official Transcripts must be received for all undergraduate and graduate coursework from accredited colleges or universities directly from the issuing college or university
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Any international course work complete must have official transcript evaluations completed and submitted to the University by the evaluation firm. Evaluations MUST include GPA for admission. Approved Evaluation Firms are:
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 100
All admissions materials should be submitted to Graduate Admissions:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Toll Free 800.343.1609
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
In addition to the overall institutional accreditation statement above, the Hutton School of Business at University of the Cumberlands has received specialized accreditations for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page. Please review our Public Disclosure of Student Achievement.
Click here to view a list of the faculty.