MISSION AND GOALS
The mission of the Hutton School of Business is to foster academic excellence and student achievement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students are provided with a strong academic foundation in business, and are prepared to become productive, competent, and ethical professionals. The Hutton School of Business provides a learning environment that is characterized by student-oriented instructional methodologies and the development of leadership and life-long learning skills in its students.
At the Hutton School of Business, the following broad-based goals for students have been developed:
- Students will acquire the relevant disciplinary knowledge and competencies appropriate to their program of study.
- Students will acquire effective business-related professional skills.
- Students will be challenged to assess their personal values and connect them to ethical behaviors appropriate to their intended endeavors.
Based upon these broad-based goals, the Hutton School of Business has identified the following general intended student learning outcomes for students:
Students will be able to apply the major concepts in the functional areas of accounting, finance, marketing, and management.
Students will be able to evaluate the global legal, social, and economic environments of business.
Students will be able to examine the ethical obligations and responsibilities of the business decision-maker and the business.
Students will be able to apply decision-support tools and resources to problem-solving and business decision-making.
Students will be able to demonstrate professional business communication skills.
Students will be able to demonstrate effective teamwork skills.
Students will be able to appraise their individual leadership abilities and limitations
Further, the Hutton School of Business has developed the following intended student learning outcomes for students pursuing the major/concentration in Business Administration:
- Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of core business terminology, concepts and functions.
- Students will be able to demonstrate strategic planning skills needed for effective business decision making.
- Students will be able to apply knowledge of business concepts and functions in an integrated, strategic manner.
The bachelor's in business administration degree program is designed to develop students' unique talents and prepare them for leadership in the global marketplace. A University of the Cumberlands business administration degree prepares students for potential careers in many areas including:
- financial planning and management,
- real estate,
- corporate financial management,
- banking, securities and credit services,
- public relations,
- pricing analyst,
- human resources,
- business development,
- grant specialist,
- healthcare administrator,
- nonprofit director, and
- supply chain manager.
Students have access to the latest media, audio and data transmission technology, and are able to work with faculty who are actively involved in the business community as advisors, consultants, officers of professional organizations and members of corporate boards of directors. The University also provides business administration majors with opportunities to attend business presentations and gain practical work experience through corporate internships.
Students are provided with a strong academic foundation in business, and are prepared to become productive, competent, and ethical professionals.