Bachelor's Degree in Spanish
Did you know more than 559 million people worldwide speak Spanish? In fact, by 2050, the United States is expected to be the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world, with 138 million Spanish speakers. At University of the Cumberlands, the department of World Languages gives you the opportunity to take your Spanish skills to the next level with multiple Spanish degree programs, including a minor degree in Spanish Bachelor of Arts in Spanish:
- The BA in Spanish offers a 21st-century curriculum that features both liberal arts courses in literature and culture and application classes that promote critical thinking and active use of Spanish in a variety of settings
- The degree in Spanish language teaching leads to P-12 certification to teach in the public schools
- The Spanish Minor allows students to tailor their experience by choosing courses in language, literature, culture, business, and translation
Whether you choose to minor or major in Spanish, students are provided with the tools to understand both the language and the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. To this end, the Department of World Languages offers courses in the Spanish language and the literature and cultures of Spain and the Spanish Americas. Courses are offered at all levels to help students develop the four communicative skills of speaking, listening, reading, and writing in Spanish. With classes small enough to really get to know your classmates and your instructors, the skills and experiences you’ll develop will prepare you for graduate and professional programs as well as for careers in any field in which knowledge of another language and culture is vital.
In addition, students explore the cultural products, perspectives, and practices of the Spanish-speaking world through course work, field trips, extracurricular activities, and study abroad. UC has partner programs in Costa Rica and Salamanca, Spain, or students may work with Spanish faculty to develop an overseas experience that meets their individual educational goals.
WHAT CAN I DO WITH A SPANISH DEGREE?
A degree in Spanish can stand alone, or as a major or a minor, it can be an ideal complement to any major, particularly in today’s world, where many employers prefer candidates with second-language skills. Spanish has been identified as an area of particularly critical need in education, law enforcement, and medicine. That means there are jobs for Spanish majors in a variety of fields, including:
- Teacher – the United States is experiencing a teacher shortage in world languages; UC's graduates with a degree in Spanish are rising to the challenge
- Law Enforcement/National Security – from local police departments to the FBI, DEA, CIA, agencies need people who can communicate in more than one language
- Health Care - hospitals, clinics, private practices, and labs all need Spanish-speaking personnel
- Missionary – Spanish is a widely-used language in many mission fields both in the United States and abroad
- Interpreter/ translator – either full-time or on the side
- Diplomacy – just imagine a career in Europe or South America. You don't have to be an ambassador to play an important role
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
Whichever direction you choose to go, let University of the Cumberlands' Spanish program help you prepare for a rewarding career. Let’s talk about our test-optional college admissions process, scholarship opportunities, and more! Fill out the form on this page for more info today!
Visit Us In Person
6178 College Station Drive
Williamsburg, KY 40769
A University of the Cumberlands degree prepares you for the rigors of the professional world. Click the button to learn more about the exciting career opportunities you can pursue with this program.