Individuals seeking the Option 9 route to certification can contact an enrollment counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 606.539.4372. Check out our Option 9 page for more info.
Online Bachelor's Degree in Middle School Education (5-9)
Kids at any age are great to work with, but there is something special about those middle school years. At this pivotal time in students’ lives, it’s essential that they are guided by educational role models that can help them succeed in school and in life. Is that you?
Our online middle school teaching program will give you an excellent, well-rounded foundation in education, enabling you to direct your course of study toward your specific career goals with specializations in mathematics, science, English/communication, social studies, and special education. With your bachelor’s degree in education, you’ll also have an opportunity for field study during your 12-week practicum at one of several schools within the district. University of the Cumberlands has great junior high partnerships, which can help maximize clinical experiences and provide UC students with relationships for seeking employment.
- What is a Middle School Education Degree?
- What Can You Do with a Middle School Education Degree?
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Accreditation EPSB and CAEP
What is an Online Middle School Education Degree?
An online program in middle school education prepares educators for teaching success during one of the most chaotic periods of transition in the lives of young learners: middle school. The right program will offer insight into the minds and learning needs of middle school-aged students, preparing these aspiring teachers for careers in public and private school settings. Coursework for this teaching degree will cover foundational coursework for every discipline available to middle school students with opportunities to amplify skills in professional education, such as in technology, literacy topics, child and adolescent development, diversity, classroom management, and more.
What Can You Do with an Online Middle School Education Degree?
Use your online degree in middle school education to pursue jobs and career opportunities as a middle school teacher, where the average 2030 annual salary came in at $61,320. Specific career and job opportunities can include:
- Teaching in middle or junior high schools
- Tutoring at-risk students
- Serving in children’s or youth ministry
- Becoming a textbook representative
- Training employees in large companies
- Teaching on military bases or in international schools
How to Become a Middle School Teacher
As with any education position for younger learners, those interested in becoming a middle school teacher should begin by checking into their state’s certification requirements. Each state has slightly different requirements for certifications and licensure. That said, there are commonalities.
Start with a relevant bachelor’s degree, one that offers a fundamental understanding of middle school teaching best practices with opportunities to specialize in areas of study, such as social studies, math, science, English, and even learning and behavior disabilities. There should also be a student-teaching practicum where these aspiring educators can apply what they’ve learned in a middle school or junior high classroom setting. After that, they will need to take and pass a state test, apply for a license, and start looking for available middle school teacher jobs.
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
If you feel called to education, you can prepare for a successful career with an online teaching degree. At University of the Cumberlands, this online middle school education degree (5-9) can prepare you to become a junior high teacher or middle school teacher.
Click here for Middle School Education Course Details
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
In order to be considered for admission to this University of the Cumberlands online program students must complete the following:
- Apply online
- Submit official transcripts from all applicable colleges/universities attended; must be submitted directly to University of the Cumberlands from the issuing institution and must be sealed or unopened.
- If you have 0-11 hours of college credit, an official high school transcript must be submitted showing a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. GED students must provide official scores from the General Education Development Test (GED). Click here for the GED to GPA calculator.
- If you have 12+ hours of college credit, you must submit an official college transcript with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. High school transcripts are not required if you have obtained 12+ hours of college credit.
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 95
Please Note: The requirements above are specific for admittance into the University only. Admittance into University of the Cumberlands Teacher Education Program will require additional items. For a detailed list of these requirements, please see here: University of the Cumberlands Teacher Education Requirements.
All admissions materials should be submitted to:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Toll Free 800.343.1609
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
In addition to the overall institutional accreditation statement above, the specialized accrediting bodies related to this degree are listed below.
KDE/EPSB – State Accreditation
University of the Cumberlands' School of Education is further accredited through Kentucky's Educational Professional Standards Board (EPSB), 100 Airport Road, 3rd Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601. (502) 564-4606. Fax: (502) 564-7080.
CAEP – National Accreditation
The School of Education at University of the Cumberlands (UC) is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) at the initial-licensure level and advanced-level. CAEP promotes excellence in educator preparation through quality assurance and continuous improvement. UC’s School of Education has earned national accreditation by demonstrating excellence in the areas of content and pedagogy, clinical experiences, selectivity, program impact, and capacity for continuous improvement.
CAEP Address: 1140 19th St NW #400, Washington, DC 20036
CAEP Phone Number: (202) 223-0077
Click here to view a list of the education faculty.
Visit Us In Person
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769