Funding you need now, with time to pay it back later.

There are many different types of student loans available to students, including loan programs for parents of college students. Most loans are available through the federal government and a student must submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form to determine eligibility.

For more information about loans, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid, call 606.539.4220 or 1.800.343.1609 and ask for Financial Aid.
studentfinancial [at] (studentfinancial[at]ucumberlands[dot]edu)

Federal Loans

Federal Loans

There are two types of Federal Direct Loans, subsidized and unsubsidized. 

Eligibility for each type depends on financial need. If you are awarded a Federal Direct Loan, you must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at

Direct PLUS Loan is a federal loan for parents of college students. Parents must complete the Parent PLUS application process. When you apply for a direct PLUS Loan, they run a credit check to determine credit history.

A Direct PLUS Loan is a federal loan to provide additional educational funding based on credit. To determine eligibility, graduate students or parents of undergraduate students must complete the application process and credit check HERE. The credit check is only valid for 90 days. Graduate students must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Parents must complete a Master Promissory Note HERE.

Private Loans

FastChoice makes it easy to find a private loan by providing an easy-to-understand format, to help you determine which private student loan best meets your needs. To apply for private loans, use this comparison tool to shop around and choose a preferred lender. Proceed to FASTChoice.  

If you need assistance with the information required for the self-certification form, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 606.539.4220 or email financialaid [at] (financialaid[at]ucumberlands[dot]edu)


As part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act, lenders offering private loans for postsecondary educational expenses are required to provide certain disclosures. These disclosures include, but are not limited to, the loan terms and features at the time of the application and before the funds are disbursed to the University. 

These disclosures provide information to borrowers and co-signers about the terms of the loan. Students must complete a self-certification form that notifies them about additional student loan programs that may offer less costly alternatives. As the borrower of the loan, if you wish to cancel the loan after the final loan disclosure is sent, you have a three-day rescission period. 

(click the links below to view loan disclosure information for each lender)

outdoor statue of Dr. MLK Jr.

Student Loans Code of Conduct

These guidelines are designed to avoid any potential for a conflict of interest between the university and its students or their parents in the financial aid process.

Covid-19 Student Loan Forbearance Program

The Department of Education’s COVID-19 student loan forbearance program is ending. On September 1, 2023, interest resumes, and payments will be due beginning in October 2023.

No, the special COVID-19 Student Loan Forbearance Program did not apply to private student loans. But private lenders may ahve their own plans for helping borrowers during the coronavirus pandemic. Contact your lender for details.

To learn more about repayment, visit
You can also try a loan simulator here:

Go to and click Log In on the top right.

You can find more information about federal student loans and information on loan default HERE.

Visit THIS PAGE to learn how to prepare to resume repaying student loans.

Among other plans, there are income-based repayment plans which would allow you to pay less if your income is lower.

You have three other options. You could potentially return to school. Cumberlands offers graduate programs at affordable rates. You could also consider DEFERMENT or FORBEARANCE.

You can find more information about federal student loans and information on loan servicing HERE.

You can find more information about federal student loans and information on student loan acknowledgements HERE.

For Washington State residents seeking information and resources about student loan repayment or seeking to submit a complaint relating to your student loans or student loan servicer, please visit or contact Student Loan Advocate at loanadvocate [at] (loanadvocate[at]wsac[dot]wa[dot]gov).