Skip to main content
Work Study student in the library

Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program provides a way for students with financial need to earn federal money for education expenses.

A student's total Federal Work-Study Award depends on when the application is received, level of financial need, and Cumberlands' current funding level.

Most work-study jobs are paid minimum wage for each hour worked. Checks are issued twice a month and are available at the Office of Student Accounts. Students are encouraged to use this money to pay off their student account first, then use any remainder to pay for outside educational expenses.

Though work-study jobs are generally on campus, some off campus work is available. On campus work-study is available in nearly every campus office and organization. Off campus jobs generally consist of working for a private, nonprofit organization or an agency with community interest.


Steps to Begin Work-Study

• Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

• Make sure work-study is listed in your financial aid package and accept the award there

• Complete the required New Student Employee Forms

• Apply for work-study positions and get hired

All Student Employment tasks will be done inside of MyUC. You can tutorials about finding job postings, the onboarding process, and more on the myUC Training for Student Workers page. You can also view more details in the STUDENT EMPLOYEE MANUAL .


Pay Periods

Work performed from the 19th to the 3rd is paid on the 15th of the month.

Work performed between the 4th and the 18th is paid on the last working day of the month.


Have Questions? Contact us at the UC Student Employment Office!

Phone: (606) 539-5567 or (606) 539-4185
Office Location: Directions to Financial Aid Office- Gatliff Chapel Room 226
Mailing Address: 6190 College Station Drive


Have you been approved for work-study?

Apply & Complete Employment Documentation

Virtual Meeting Request