Making disciples of all people
Campus Ministries endeavors to assist every follower of Christ to live out the Great Commission – making disciples of all people – as a part of the collegiate experience. We help students GROW and GO as disciples of Jesus Christ: from fellowship to discipleship to evangelism to service projects, our goal is to equip students to grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ and go out into the community on mission. Should you choose to attend UC, we pledge to support, encourage, and equip you to live your life on mission not only as a student, but wherever God leads you in the future!
Our Ministry Programs
Appalachian Ministries (AM) began in the ‘70s when a group of UC students went out into the communities surrounding the university and saw the great needs of young people all around them. AM focuses on reaching local children and youth with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. During the academic year, college students work with children and youth at various community sites on a weekly basis by leading them in recreation, crafts, music, and Bible lessons. Appalachian Ministries, also known as AM, includes an all-summer mission program for UC students that serves numerous communities of children and youth in southeastern Kentucky.
Under the leadership of the AM Director, student leaders head up teams of UC students and go out to multiple AM locations on a weekly basis. Students work with children and youth, leading them in recreation, crafts, music, and Bible lessons; providing them with food; and aiming to connect them and their families with a local church.
Some programs we offer:
- Weekly Outreach: Monday – Wednesday approximately between 4-7pm (This is due to change.)
- Shoes for the Soul: Shoes for the Soul is an annual event hosted by Cumberlands as a way to serve the community and children within the Whitley County area. Every year as school begins, Shoes for the Soul assists hundreds of children by providing new shoes, socks, and backpacks filled with school supplies. For more information regarding this event go to: ucumberlands.edu/shoes4soul
- Youth Mentoring Program: UC students volunteer their time to take on a youth aged student as they are going from middle school to high school. This program is designed to help improve the student's academic achievement and self-esteem. The relationships that are built through this program end up lasting a life-time.
Cumberlands’ Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) organization is focused on providing opportunities for athletes and non-athletes to fellowship in authentic Christian community. During the academic year, FCA hosts a weekly gathering of fellowship, recreation, and encouragement from fellow student athletes and coaches. FCA also provides outreach to and Bible study support for UC’s athletic teams.
The Cumberland chapter of this international organization is open to all students and meets weekly to discover ways it can fulfill the International FCA’s mission to “present athletes and coaches, and all whom they influence, the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and of serving Him in the fellowship of the Church.” Athletes and non-athletes gather for fellowship and Bible study on Wednesday nights and also engage in outreach activities at UC’s numerous sporting events.
Some programs we offer:
- Weekly Fellowship: Come join us on Wednesday nights at 8:00pm at Main Street Baptist Church for food, worship, fellowship, games, and small groups.
- Sports Outreach: The core FCA Team ministers to the needs of sports teams each semester providing meals, post-game snacks, prayer, or biblical encouragement.
Student volunteer teams complete small-scale construction projects and distribute food and clothing to individuals in need. We also have a summer missions team with this ministry that builds a house – from start to finish – for about 10 weeks in the summer, as well as a Spring break mission trip.
Since its inception in 1982, the goal of Mountain Outreach is to reinvigorate and revitalize the community by focusing on four key elements: community service, repair projects, warehouse utilization, and home builds. The program’s outreach includes numerous service projects that help provide children, the elderly, and financially struggling families with critical and urgent needs throughout the Cumberlands service region.
Christian Leadership Scholarship
The Christian Leadership Scholarship Program seeks to acknowledge the leadership contributions of deserving students.
Shoes 4 the Soul
Each year we assist hundreds of children by providing new shoes, socks and backpacks filled with school supplies.