If you’re ready to advance your career in a rapidly evolving field, consider earning a blockchain degree. Blockchain technology brings together the worlds of business and IT to create the best transactional practices of tomorrow. When you earn an online Master in Global Business with Blockchain Technology, you’ll prepare to implement the latest blockchain innovations and meet the future of global commerce.
- What is a Blockchain Degree?
- What is Blockchain Technology?
- Is Blockchain a Good Career Field?
- Is Blockchain Worth Studying?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
A blockchain degree is a program that teaches the fundamentals of blockchain technology and how to use these new capabilities in a variety of business applications—such as financial services, banking, identity management, and more. This degree teaches the core concepts, frameworks, and skills necessary to lead and implement blockchain initiatives that make digital transactions more secure. You’ll study concepts such as:
- The role of blockchain technology in finance
- Cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, and their market impact
- Using blockchain technology to address data accuracy, reliability, and transparency
- Components and structures of blockchain business networks
- And more
Simply put, blockchain is a data protocol that allows non-trusted partners to collaborate and agree on the validity of transactions without anyone overseeing the process. Why? Because transactional information is recorded in a digital ledger comprised of linked blocks that each contain multiple transactions. Since changing one block would require changing all the blocks, this system is difficult to hack or cheat.
While blockchain technology was initially developed to facilitate cryptocurrency transactions, it holds so much more potential. Blockchain’s fundamental property of online security makes it the optimal tool for handling all sorts of digital transactions. The many uses of blockchain technology include secure medical data sharing, supply chain and logistics monitoring, cross-border payments, and even voting.
For those interested in IT, business, finance, and related areas, a career that involves developing and implementing blockchain technology may be highly rewarding. Though still a relatively new and evolving field, blockchain is creating many jobs. In fact, data from the U.S. Department of Labor projects that blockchain engineer roles will grow faster than average over the next decade.
In addition, a variety of growing career paths may call for blockchain skills and expertise. For example, demand for computer and information systems managers is growing to match the pace of advancing information security threats. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in this occupation will increase by 11 percent over the next decade, much faster than average for all professions. Potential job titles include chief information officer (CIO), chief technology officer (CTO), IT director, and IT security manager.
To learn about more careers, click here to view a career infographic.
When considering whether to earn a blockchain degree, many students wonder if there’s a future in blockchain technology. For many, it’s clear that blockchain has changed business—and the world—for the better. Earning a blockchain degree may be a smart investment for the following reasons:
- Career opportunities. Business applications for blockchain are on the rise. In fact, this technology is revolutionizing industries as diverse as banking, global finance, supply chain management, health care, digital media, and beyond. With a blockchain degree under your belt, you could expand your career options and stand out to employers.
- Higher earnings. Earning an advanced degree with a focus on blockchain technology could help you prepare for high-paying career paths. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer and information systems managers earned a median annual salary of $159,010 in 2021. Many employers prefer these professionals to earn a graduate degree.
- The chance to shape the future. Modern organizations have only scratched the surface of what’s possible with blockchain technology. Earning a blockchain degree could prepare you to lead the way forward in this exciting field—and unlock career opportunities as you go.
Learn blockchain technology online with UC’s global business graduate program featuring a blockchain focus. In this one-of-a-kind program, you’ll prepare to excel at the intersection of two professional fields experiencing rapid growth: business and IT.
You’ll build an expert understanding of blockchain technology through virtual lab exercises, research, and hands-on activities. In addition, our cutting-edge curriculum will teach you applications for blockchain within a global business context. You’ll learn how to:
- Develop programming code to implement crypto assets and perform blockchain data mining
- Create and implement cryptocurrencies, hyper ledgers, Ethereum, and decentralized applications
- Analyze blockchain technology’s impact on different aspects of business
- Address specific needs and challenges in the field of blockchain technology
Plus, you’ll be prepared to take the internationally recognized Certified Blockchain Professional (CBP) certification exam from the Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals (ICCP). Our program is designed to equip you with the skills needed to sit for this industry certification, maximize your marketability, and make an impact in innovative companies. If you’re seeking an online master’s in blockchain technology program, look no further than the graduate degree in global business with blockchain technology from University of the Cumberlands.
This cutting-edge joint IT and Business degree program is offered 100% online and is comprised of 31 required credit hours. The master’s in global business with blockchain technology degree courses are delivered online in an 8-week bi-term format. Each online graduate level in blockchain technology course is three semester credit-hours and aligned with the program’s goals. As a graduate student within the Global Business with Blockchain Technology Degree Program, you will have the chance to engage with other like-minded professionals and top notch professors through the following courses:
Note: The Online Master of Science in Global Business with Blockchain Technology program must be completed within five years of enrolling. The Chair of Information Sciences must approve any request for an extension of this time limit.
Required Courses - 31 Hours
- BLCN 531 Introduction to Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies
- BLCN 532 Blockchain Development
- BLCN 533 Finance and Blockchain
- BLCN 534 Fundamentals of Database Systems
- BLCN 535 Cryptography
- BLCN 631 Blockchain Implementation
- BLCN 632 Data Mining
- BLCN 633 Global Marketing and Blockchain
- BLCN 634 Human Resource Management and Blockchain
- BLCN 635 New Technologies for Business Leaders
- BLCN 699 Capstone
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Admission to our University is very competitive as well as selective and we review each application by the same standards.
- Application and Application fee
- A completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Official Transcripts must be received for all undergraduate and graduate coursework from accredited colleges or universities directly from the issuing college or university
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Any international course work completed must have official transcript evaluations completed and submitted to the University by the evaluation firm. Evaluations MUST include GPA for admission.
Approved Evaluation Firms are:
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 100
All admissions materials should be submitted to Graduate Admissions:
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
Click here to view a list of the information technology faculty.