Online MSPM — Master of Science in Project Management
Interested in leading successful business initiatives? With a Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM), you’ll be prepared to guide project teams, push through obstacles, and get ideas to market quickly and profitably. You’ll gain the tools you need to manage exciting projects and put your career on a winning track. And with the option to study online, it’s possible to prepare for new goals while continuing to work full time.
- What is an MSPM?
- What Can I Do with a Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM)?
- Is a PMP Equivalent to a Master’s Degree?
- Is a Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM) Worth It?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Mission and Goals
- Admission Requirements
What is an MSPM?
An MSPM is a graduate degree program intended for working professionals who have earned a baccalaureate degree in business or another relevant field and are looking for the education—and the credentials—to lead complex projects. Also known as a Master in Project Management (MPM), this advanced professional degree teaches the expertise you need to lead, manage, and coordinate complex initiatives. You’ll build skills in:
- Problem solving and decision making
- Team building and management
- Risk and quality management
- Monitoring and controlling projects
- Budgeting and cost management
- And more
Hands-on experience through a practicum or internship is an important part of most MSPM programs. You’ll apply theory to practice in real-world business scenarios and learn to collaborate with others to plan, initiate, and execute projects. Graduates of an MSPM program are ready to take the lead in decision-making contexts across diverse industries.
What Can I Do with a Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM)?
With an MSPM, you will be equipped to serve in a variety of roles that require project management and leadership skills. According to data from the U.S. Department of Labor, project management specialist and information technology project manager career paths should grow faster than average over the next decade.
In addition to project manager roles, you could consider a logistician career path. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, this occupation is growing due to increased demand for experts who can solve business and supply chain problems. Companies rely on logisticians to improve product distribution challenges, increase efficiency, and improve processes—all skills that an MSPM may impart.
Is a PMP Equivalent to a Master’s Degree?
The Project Management Professional (PMP) is a professional certification that can help you demonstrate your project leadership skills to prospective employers. Becoming a PMP may be a worthy investment in your career. That said, it’s not the equivalent of earning a master’s degree such as an MSPM. Why? Because a PMP certifies your existing knowledge and skills, while an MSPM program is designed to offer a comprehensive education in the theory and practice of project management.
Which path is right for you? If you’re a professional who already has the requisite education and work experience, earning PMP certification could help boost your career prospects. But if you’re hoping to build new skills in project management, deepen your knowledge in preparation for advanced career opportunities, or make a career pivot, earning an MSPM may be the ideal next step. And many project managers earn both!
Is a Master of Science in Project Management (MSPM) Worth It?
Earning an MSPM calls for time, commitment, and an investment in your future. So, is it worthwhile? For many candidates, the answer is a resounding yes. Consider the following potential advantages of earning your MSPM:
- Higher earnings. Roles that call for project management skills may come with a bigger salary. In 2021, IT project managers earned a median annual salary of $95,270 and project management specialists earned a median annual salary of $76,040, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. Earning an MSPM could help you prepare for these and other high-paying roles.
- Applicable skills. In an MSPM program, you’ll learn in-demand leadership and management skills you can apply in diverse industries and organizations. This makes the program particularly flexible—and a great way to enhance your existing professional knowledge and experience.
- Career advancement. If you’re seeking to move into a project manager role after several years of work experience in your industry, earning an MSPM can give you the career boost you need. With convenient online learning options, it’s even possible to earn your degree while working full time.
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
The online master’s in project management degree program at University of the Cumberlands was designed to impart the skills you need to succeed in a project management capacity—and stand out to employers in today’s competitive business landscape.
The 31-credit curriculum for this online master’s degree in business project management teaches a combination of approved theories and practical tactics for managing projects in and out of the corporate environment. As a graduate of the program, you’ll know what it takes to:
- Initiate, plan, monitor, and control any project, from start to finish
- Evaluate information, solve problems, and make sound decisions
- Research issues and questions relevant to the field of project management
- Identify your legal and ethical obligations as a project leader
Core Courses - 6 Hours
Project Management Courses - 24 Hours
- BADM 623 Project Management Processes
- BADM 627 Project Risk and Quality Management
- BADM 628 Project Human Resources and Stakeholder Management
- BADM 633 Planning the Project
- BADM 634 Initiating the Project
- BADM 635 Executing the Project
- BADM 636 Monitoring/Controlling and Closing the Project
- BADM 637 Strategic Application in Project Management
* All candidates completing the Master of Science in Project Management degree will complete a written Comprehensive Examination in the last semester of their academic program as a graduation requirement.
Capstone Course - 1 Hour
Mission and Goals
The mission of the Hutton School of Business and the Plaster Graduate School of Business is to foster academic excellence and student achievement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students are provided with a strong academic foundation in business, and are prepared to become productive, competent, and ethical professionals. The Hutton School of Business provides a learning environment that is characterized by student-oriented instructional methodologies and the development of leadership and life-long learning skills in its students.
At the Hutton School of Business, the following broad-based goals for students have been developed:
- Students will acquire the relevant disciplinary knowledge and competencies appropriate to their program of study.
- Students will acquire effective business-related professional skills.
- Students will be challenged to assess their personal values and connect them to ethical behaviors appropriate to their intended endeavors.
Based upon these broad-based goals, the Hutton School of Business and the Plaster Graduate School of Business have identified the following general intended student learning outcomes for students pursuing the M.S. in Project Management:
- Students will be able to utilize advanced knowledge of the project management process, including planning the project, initiating the project, executing the project, monitoring the project, and controlling the project.
- Students will be able to develop advanced analytical and critical thinking skills to evaluate information, solve problems, and make sound ethical decisions in the different areas of project management.
- Students will be able to conduct research on issues and questions relevant to the project management practice.
- Students will be able to examine the ethical and legal responsibilities of project managers.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Admission to our University is very competitive as well as selective and we review each application by the same standards.
- Application and Application fee
- A completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Submit official transcripts from all applicable colleges/universities attended; must be received directly from the issuing college or university.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale
- Any international course work completed must have official transcript evaluations completed and submitted to the University by the evaluation firm. Evaluations MUST include GPA for admission.
Approved Evaluation Firms are:
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 100
All admissions materials should be submitted to Graduate Admissions:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Toll Free 855.791.7199
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
In addition to the overall institutional accreditation statement above, the Hutton School of Business at University of the Cumberlands has received specialized accreditations for its business programs through the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE) located at 11374 Strang Line Road in Lenexa, Kansas, USA. For a list of accredited programs please refer to our IACBE member status page. Please review our Public Disclosure of Student Achievement.
Click here to view a list of faculty.
Visit Us In Person
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769