The Online Bachelor of Science in Public Health Degree Program is designed to give you the tools, education, and degree needed to pursue a wide variety of careers in the broad public health field – from health education to nursing home administration to medical supply sales.
- Mission and Goals
- What can I do with a Online Public Health Degree?
- Degree Requirements for Online Public Health Degree
- More Information on Online Public Health Degree
The Health, Exercise and Sport Science Department of University of the Cumberlands is on a mission to provide students with the best possible education in the broad field that is Public Health.
The online Bachelor in Public Health Online Degree Program gives students a foundational expertise in health and well-being on a personal and societal level. Online classes in areas like community health, substance abuse and physiology provide the broad-based knowledge graduates will need to succeed in helping individuals and families live healthier lives. In this way, University of the Cumberlands helps students who pursue a degree in Public Health make a positive impact on the world around them.
ONLINE BACHELOR'S DEGREE IN Online PUBLIC HEALTH PROGRAM GOALS:
As a student in the Health, Exercise and Sport Science (HESS) Department, you will gain insights that will help you grow personally and professionally. Through this B.S. in Public Health online degree program, you’ll learn the analytical, evaluative, management, and communication skills you need to successfully navigate the complex situations that often arise in the field of public health.
This public health program is offered online to give you the flexibility needed to pursue a career-relevant degree with the high-quality instruction and support system necessary to succeed. After you graduate with your public health degree from University of the Cumberlands, you will be prepared to continue your studies in graduate school or to work in a variety of public health settings that help improve quality of life by promoting health and fitness.
- Develop competent professionals who are able to integrate content knowledge & practical application skills appropriate to the setting
- Learn effective analytical, evaluative, management, and communication skills to successfully navigate diverse situations
- Provide a thorough academic foundation for Health, Exercise and Sport Science (HESS) students to apply to graduate schools and meet requirements for professional positions in the content area
- Facilitate students in effective communication competence related to HESS content
After earning your Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health Online, you’ll be prepared to pursue a number of public health occupations in local health departments, hospitals, health agencies, and more. Or you could continue your studies in graduate school or for certification in a specific field. Career options include*:
If your desire is to help people lead better, healthier lives, a public health degree can set you up for a number of careers serving the health and wellness needs of your community. And there’s a growing need for these professionals. In fact, jobs for health educators are expected to grow 11 percent over the next several years. Currently, the median annual salary for these public service health professionals is $48,860.
HUMAN SERVICE ASSISTANT2
Just want to get your foot in the door? From nursing homes to fitness training, a public service degree could also open doors to other related careers, including that of a caseworker or community coordinator. Job openings for Social and Human Service Assistants are projected to grow 17 percent by 2030 with a median salary of $37,610.
Or you could pursue a career outside of health or human services altogether. The insights you’ll gain will help you prepare for any job that requires critical thinking and people skills as well as a professional demeanor – from business to customer service to office work.
- Child Development Specialist
- Community Health Consultant
- Director of Wellness Programs
- Community Nutrition Educator
- Health Program Representative
- Family Support Worker
- Human Services Program Specialist
- Public Health Educator
- Community Health Worker
- Health or Patient Educator
- Nursing Home Activities Director
- Nursing Home Administrator
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Records Technician
- Health and Safety Educator
- Massage Therapist
- Medical Equipment and Supply Representative
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Tobacco Prevention Director
- Environmentalist for Local Health Department
- Substance Abuse Counselor
- Health Promotion Specialist
- Wellness Program Director
- Worksite Health Promotion Manager
"17 Percent" Projected Growth Rate for Health Educators by 20301
* Certification or additional training may be necessary for some positions.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of health educators and community health workers is projected to add more than 21,100 new jobs by 2030.
As part of University of the Cumberlands’ Bachelor's in Public Health online degree requirements, each student must complete at least 120 semester hours, including those within the major and the coursework required to fulfill the degree requirements within:
- General Education
- Bachelor Core Requirements
- Elective Courses
Genreal Education Sections
- The English Language
- Christian Faith and Values
- Natural and Mathematical Sciences
- Cultural and Aesthetic Values
- Social Sciences
Bachelor Core Requirements
- HESS233 Functional Human Anatomy and Physiology
- HESS333 Nutrition
- HESS430 Substance Abuse
- HLTH130 Foundations of Health Science
- HLTH335 Introduction to the Study of Disease
- HLTH336 Epidemiology
- HLTH431 Public Health Administration
- HLTH432 Community and Environmental Health
Nine hours of upper-level HEOL, HESOL, and/or electives from the following:
- HSRV436 Human Diversity and Ethics
- HSRV437 Mental Health
- NURS336 Research and Nursing Practice
- SOWK433 Social Policy Analysis
- PSYOL244 Research Design and Statistics II
You may choose any of the courses that are offered within UCumberlands Online. If a course has a pre-requisite, as long as you meet the requirements, and have not previously taken it, you can take the class. Your elective choices are vast and not limited to your degree.
Have questions about what the admission requirements for Public Health? Learn more about admission requirements for the Public Health Degree.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
Learn from the best and most experienced professor in Public Health. They will be able to guide you and help you on your path through your degree. Learn more about the Public Health Faculty.
Do you have more questions? Get answers to your questions by checking out the FAQ page.
For more information about the Online Bachelor's Degree in Public Health at UC, fill out the form on this page. Let’s talk about our test-optional college admissions process, scholarship opportunities, and more!
Visit Us In Person
649 S. 10th Street Suite C
Williamsburg, KY 40769
A University of the Cumberlands degree prepares you for the rigors of the professional world. Click the button to learn more about the exciting career opportunities you can pursue with this program.