Online Bachelor's in Communication Arts
Whatever the future holds, the ability to communicate clearly and get your message across is key to any successful venture. If you have a love for clear, responsible communication and a desire to explore career options ranging from education to business to social media, you should begin with an education in communication. Begin your communication studies with an online bachelor’s degree in communication arts at University of the Cumberlands.
Our online communication arts program stresses the diversity of human communication. With the Bachelor of Science in Communication Arts, required courses for minors and full degree programs provide a foundation in most of the key areas of communication research today, while elective options let you focus on specific areas, such as mass communication or rhetoric. Classes are small enough, around 15 students, to really get to know your classmates and your teachers. With a communication degree, you’ll also have a chance to earn credit, as well as career-building skills, through practical experience in forensics, broadcasting practicum, or professional internships. We also offer opportunities to stretch your wings with a digital media studio, radio station, campus newspaper, and a nationally recognized speech and debate team.
- What Is an Online Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts?
- What Can I Do with an Online Bachelor of Communication Arts Degree?
- Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Admission Requirements
- Mission and Goals
What Is an Online Bachelor's Degree in Communication Arts?
Communication arts encompasses all forms of communication of information, including writing, reading, speaking, listening, drawing and illustrating, and more. Effective communication is at the core of all human interaction, making it an integral aspect of a functioning society.
University of the Cumberlands Communication Arts program allows students to choose from four concentrations areas to expand their focus on key subject matter and career opportunities. Concentrations include Advertising and Public Relations; Journalism; Integrated Communication and Theatre.
What Can I do with a Communication Arts Degree?
From our minors in communication arts, journalism, and strategic communication to our associate degrees in mass communications and communication arts and up to our bachelor’s degree in communication, our programs will give you the tools you need to prepare for a number of communication careers. From broadcast journalism to corporate marketing, a BA or BS in communication arts will prepare you for a number of career options, including:
- Mass Media Specialist
- Social Media Manager
- Content Creator
- Announcer – Radio, Television, and Public Address
- Communication Teacher (with secondary school certification)
- Reporter or Correspondent
- Public Relations Specialist
Curriculum and Degree Requirements
Explore the required courses and descriptions for the communication arts degree HERE.
Costs for programs of study at University of the Cumberlands are competitive and affordable. Click here to view tuition rates and fees.
In order to be considered for admission to this University of the Cumberlands online program students must complete the following:
- Apply online
- Submit official transcripts from all applicable colleges/universities attended; must be submitted directly to University of the Cumberlands from the issuing institution and must be sealed or unopened.
- If you have 0-11 hours of college credit, an official high school transcript must be submitted showing a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. GED students must provide official scores from the General Education Development Test (GED). Click here for the GED to GPA calculator.
- If you have 12+ hours of college credit, you must submit an official college transcript with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. High school transcripts are not required if you have obtained 12+ hours of college credit.
- Documentation of language fluency for non-native speakers of English, such as a score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the 8 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or a report from Duolingo. This requirement is waived for students who have completed bachelor’s or master’s level coursework in the U.S. at an accredited institution. The minimum acceptable TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission are:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (IBT) - 79
- IELTS - 6
- Duolingo - 95
All admissions materials should be submitted to:
University of the Cumberlands
Graduate & Online Admissions
649 S. 10th Street
Williamsburg, KY 40769
Toll Free: 800.343.1609
Mission and Goals
The mission of the communication arts program is to provide students from all disciplines with the opportunity and training to improve their verbal and written communication skills. A Communication Arts major (or minor) should gain an appreciation of cultural heritage, become effective and ethically responsible communicators, and often obtain positions in a number of communications-related fields such as broadcasting, journalism, education, and business.
A bachelor's degree in Communication Arts stresses the diversity of human communication. The goal for the communication major is to learn to become an effective and ethically responsible communicator who can design, express, interpret and evaluate functional messages in a variety of contexts, including personal, social, political, religious and organizational settings.
Click here to view University of the Cumberlands' accreditation information.
Click here to view a list of the communications arts faculty.
Clearly communicate your desire for a brighter future – come to UC for your communication arts degree! Call 877.713.8767 or simply fill out the form on this page for more information. Let’s talk about our test-optional college admissions process, scholarship opportunities, and more!
VISIT US IN PERSON
649 S. 10th Street
Williamsburg, KY 40769
A University of the Cumberlands degree prepares you for the rigors of the professional world. Click the button to learn more about the exciting career opportunities you can pursue with this program.